Saturday 9 April 2011

After Applied Colour Theory


After explaining and writing a little bit about the kind of colour that would best suit my logo and what best appeals the target audience in my second post where I instantly decided what the colour my background needs to be, I decided to apply some colour to the graphics I have now.

As I explained my target audience could actually be anyone in search of wedding décor, and I normally tend to get clients from mixed genders with various interests and imagination. I could probably get away with including many different colours in my logo to show I can work with and apprehend with many different styles and attitudes.

I know stereotypically and based on psychological theories, men prefer darker shades of tolerant achromatic colours such as Blue and women prefer lighter simpler colours such as Pink, but this isn’t always the case as some men may prefer pink and studies have shown that blue and green have been more favoured by women than men.
Guilford and Smith (1959), McInnis and Shearer (1964)


There are many different colours available for me to use but I’m not too conscious as to which ones I need to used as colours do have motive and signify something e.g. Red may show Love and passion but can also signify and remind people of blood and danger. This is why I have picked out a mixture of different colours starting with Red being at the top of the spectrum with the values of Red: 255, Green: 0 and Blue: 0, and ending with a sort of a purple colour just like on an universal indicator between acid and alkaline. Along the way of the spectrum I have selected a normal shade of a mixture of primary, secondary and prominent colours that I believe best fit with the logo.





I decided to only fill in the “stages” with colour as I wanted to leave the other company logo original, and because I’m only actually making a logo for my industry and not the entire business.

I decided to brush the colours onto a new layer in Adobe Photoshop and then used a blur effect for them to combine well with each other and also to show the spectrum continues to the end.

REFERENCE: Guilford, J. P. & Smith, P. C. (1959). A system of color-preferences. The American Journal of Psychology, 73 (4), 487-502.

McInnis, J. H. & Shearer, J. K. (1964). Relationship between color choices and selected preferences for the individual. Journal of Home Economics, 56,181-187.


Website: http://www.colormatters.com/khouw.html




1 comment:

  1. The rainbow motif is frequently used by the gay liberation movement. I think that it is commendable that your logo is targeting this particular market who would be interested in same sex civil partnership ceremonies. I bet there are not many other companies doing that in Bradford. Well done!

    ReplyDelete